A survey carried out by digital sales house Electric Media shows that Irish mothers actively engage with parenting websites with as much as 74% of them following websites on social media channels.
The survey covered 5,000 mums and was carried out in April and May. Called “Mum Knows Best” it took in readers of Rollercoaster.ie, FamilyFriendlyHQ.com and MyKidsTime.com.
Some of the key insights include:
- Expert advice on parenting sites is the most popular parenting content consumed regularly by mums
- Text articles – as opposed to video- are still the preferred method of content consumption by mums with 52% saying they regularly consume text articles.
- Quality of content is very important for mums with 71% saying that good quality and informative content improves their perception of the brand sponsor.
- 74% of Mums follow parenting sites on social media
- Mums are most likely to engage with ads that include deals, sales or money saving offers, if the ad is relevant to their life stage or if the ad uses humour.
- Mums are more influenced by their peers with 23% of them saying they have discovered new products based on a recommendation from a friend. 46% said they have bought a product based on a recommendation from a friend.
- Only 5% of mums say they have discovered new products from a blogger or celebrity and 74% of Mums do not follow bloggers or influencers.
According to Megan O’Riordan, MD of Electric Media: “It is important for Electric Media to bring research work like this to the table, so we can all do a better job marketing to this busy cohort. The role of parenting websites on a marketing plan to Mums is obviously important with 74% following parenting sites on social media and expert advice on parenting websites being the most popular parenting content consumed regularly by Mums. I am delighted to leverage Electric Media’s reach and scale of audience to share marketing insights and improve the marketing job we do for busy mums.”